Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Don't Stop Believin'

I came up with the idea for this blog post title because it's what I listened to twelve 9-year-old girls sing on an hour long bus ride to Bear Brook State Park. My group was absolutely wonderful. But, let's rewind. Before I embarked on the bus journey, I had to go to West High School to pick up lunches for the 3 4th grade classes. This was my high school but it wasn't a blast from the past walking into the cafeteria. It looked so different! I would say I felt old walking in there, but I wasn't there for more than 5 minutes before a high school boy came to chat me up/ask me out. Yup, I've still got it. I politely declined of course.

Anyway, back to the trip. They went ponding and some of the kids found baby dragonflies, icky swimming bugs that I would never have touched, and even leeches. Blech. But the highlight of the ponding experience was the teeny tiny turtle with a bright orange belly. I think they said it was a Painter Turtle. Either way, he was so cute that my heart melted for him despite his being a pond dweller

{he lives with leeches, guys}. My student with the biggest behavior issues and zero interest in school was absolutely batty for this trip. I  overheard him telling one of his friends that today was his best day ever.

When we were on a hike through the grounds we saw so many lady slippers. I don't know if it's how pretty they are or the fact that they're protected but I couldn't get enough of them!

 I even got to taste some wintergreen berries. There were cucumber plants and the kiddos shared in the cucumber feast. I didn't partake.

The whole thing was even worth donning sneakers. Oh how I loathe sneakers.

Roller Derby was interesting. I wish I had read up on the rules of scoring before I went, but it was fairly easy to figure out. It wasn't like Whip It though. Sad days. There was a stylish girl there with a Mia Farrow haircut. I admired it to the point where I felt like Tyra Banks. I like Tyra as much as I like sneakers.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Major hearts for you!

xo
Patti

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...