Thursday, September 8, 2011

DIY: Chevron Canvas

One of the art projects that I always enjoy {& complete} is painting on canvas. I don't know if it's because it doesn't require any intricate work or the fact that I always have all of the materials readily accessible, but it's my go-to project on a regular basis. My latest creation was just a chevron pattern painted on canvas. I think the hardest part of this project was deciding what color I wanted.

Now, there are many tutorials online for a DIY Chevron rug & if I had a printer {mine said adios and I'm too picky to get just any old printer} I would have printed off a pattern and just traced it on. Instead, armed with a Little Mermaid mechanical pencil, this picture, and a ruler I began measuring & erasing feverishly. I used a 16 x 20 inch canvas that I got on sale at Michael's.

After I was done drawing my lines, I taped off all the areas that I wanted to be white.

I attempted to skip drawing the lines & just tape areas off, but it didn't look even enough and I wasn't happy with it so I scrapped that plan. I started with green first because I wanted the white areas to be wider.

The first coat wasn't as dark as I wanted it & I got a little nervous about my color choice but I kept going with it. Three coats later, it was what I wanted.
This was after the first coat on the whole canvas. Love that icky yellow-green shade? Yeah, me neither.

I waited a whole day {in Patti-land, that is an eternity} for the paint to dry before I removed the tape. As you can see, there were a few areas where my messy shenanigans caused the paint to bleed through. I had a fun time using a fine bristled brush when I painted the white areas. I was surprised at how steady my hand was though. w00t!

The finished project is cool. I like projects like these. Something simple & interesting. Next time, I think I'm going to do silver chevron on a larger canvas. As big as the world? Well, you just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Major hearts for you!

xo
Patti

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...